Webinar – broadcast on November 12th. Sandra Millar and Emma Buchan shared creative and practical ideas about how to make Christmas memorable in and beyond the church, with a focus on the possible, working alongside the national digital campaign and resources.
Christmas in your community: Bringing Comfort and Joy
Thursday November 12th, 9.30-10.30 am
- The Revd Canon Sandra Millar, Head of Life Events and Welcome
- Emma Buchan (email@example.com), Evangelism Task Group Project Leader, Lambeth Palace
We’ll keep adding more details from this webinar as they become available, so keep checking back to this page for further updates.
Download Sandra’s presentation (PowerPoint file) here: Christmas webinar CofE
A recording of the webinar will be published here soon following editing to add subtitles.
- The one-sheet of inspirational ideas for Christmas 2020 – mentioned by Emma
- Downloadable Comfort & Joy Advent Activity Calendar – mentioned by Sandra
- Current guidance for churches on Covid-19
- The national Comfort & Joy campaign and resources page
- Posters with QR codes to advertise individual private prayer (the QR codes lead to ready-made prayers online)
Popular Q&A’s from the webinar
We’ll be adding more of your Q&A’s to this section in the coming days.
Q: If we’re able to have a small choir singing in church again and want to livestream or put on YouTube, what permissions do we need please in terms of licensing so that we’re able to broadcast it?
A: CCLI provide lots of information about music and live streaming and pre-recorded services: Contact your CCLI account manager, explain what it is you want to do, and they’ll guide you to exactly what you need.
Your ideas and more resources you’ve found helpful
- The Bible Society have also produced a book to accompany an animation, which we have placed into the Christingle bags for the primary school. See the Bible Society website for all their resources and ideas.
- See this fab Journey to Bethlehem window trail idea from the Revd Jane Natrass, Vicar of Gosforth St Nicholas in Newcastle.
- Tearfund’s Advent Calendar
- Bread & Starlight Advent resource which could be useful for Advent services/home groups/Advent discussions.
- YouBelong are working to do an Advent calendar of readings, prayer and activities throughout Advent intended for chronically ill community online but available for all. The calendar will be shared each day on social media, so you can re-share or copy the links to share via email. See their FaceBook page.
- An activity Advent calendar for a care home, an idea from Anna Chaplaincy (part of BRF).
- An Outdoor Advent Christmas wreath made from fence posts
- An outdoor crib scene that grows throughout Advent.
- An Advent windows trail involving residents and schools.