Resources to help your decorate the church, gifts to give away, along with resources for worship and prayer will help you create a really welcoming and special service for godparents and godchildren.
These simple gifts, decorations and prayer ideas for your Godparents’ Sunday service will help everyone feel welcome. They’ll also remind people to keep praying for those who have been baptized and for those who continue to support their journey of faith.
Resources to decorate the church
- Pop-up banners – helps to create a colourful display in church that marks out a particular service, whether a christening or Godparents’ Sunday, as something very special.
- Bunting – a blank bunting which could also be used as a children’s activity to write or draw a message or prayer for their godparent. It can be used before the Godparents’ Sunday service in Sunday school and/or during the service itself.
Gifts to give away
Godparents’ pin badge – reinforce the faith commitment of godparents by making these badges available in church for people to take and wear.
Godchild’s pin badge – convey that godparents are a blessing to our families by making this badge available to wear and take away.
Prayer resources and ideas
- Congregational prayer card – have this available for anyone at the service who is not a godparent or parent, to encourage them to pray for those recently baptized.
- Prayer calendar – a free download to give to families as they leave church to take away and use to help them pray. Offers 4 weeks of prayer suggestions.
- Prayer suggestions for the day (Ideas)
- Tree poster/activity range with stick-on leaves, available in all sizes, ideal for an activity during a service (also available in a ‘hands’ range).
Worship resources and ideas
- Hymns specially written for the day (free download)
- Eucharistic prefaces (free download)
- 25 ideas for Godparents’ Sunday – a free download offering simple but creative ideas for activities and prayer